Translate

Friday 10 November 2017

The Way We Were

On Friday last week I was forced to work from home in order to deal with a domestic crisis that would otherwise have meant using a days holiday (all booked up for the year so a non runner), or pulling a sickie (again, I have used a few real sick days this year!).

Working From Home Can Be Stressful ......

So I was forced to take a day working from home. Now I say forced because I don't find it the easy option. There are several reasons for this.
  1. I am honest and actually want to do a good days work if they are paying me for this.
  2. I find it hard to concentrate without the bustle of an office around me.

But underlying these objections is the fact that for some reason it opens you up to phone calls making unreasonable requests. Especially as you have at least a partially restricted access to systems. Not least of which is the inability to make a face to face request for an action or activity.

A lot can be made of face to face meetings. Where you look a hombre in the eye and judge them by their word. But that's another topic, so back to working from home.

Anyways as I say you can be vulnerable to pressures that you don't experience on a 9 to 5 day. So it proved last Friday when despite logging on at 07:30 am, and working straight through to 03:15 pm I got a phone call asking me to look at something after I had logged off to get the domestic sorted.

So of course I duly returned to my laptop later on, and logged back on to complete another 40 minutes work.

In the old days, if you ever worked from home, you took paperwork home and after a few hours often ended up with an easy day. But not now .... home PC'S, smart-phones, tablets and laptops can all be used to contact you, or even plug you directly into the office systems remotely.

The Lazy Way Of Working From Home .....

Of course the lazy and the feckless will still enjoy working from home, as you can often avoid doing much more than logging on or just having your phone in your vicinity and replying to emails/calls. But I am cut from a different cloth, and can't do that.

So I am left hating working from home and much preferring going to work ....

And the worse thing is I have to do it again this Friday (today in fact), as they didn't fix the domestic problem last Friday .... argh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcomed, or even just thanks if you enjoyed the post. But please make any comment relevant to the post it appears under. Off topic comments will be blocked or removed.

Moderation is on for older posts to stop spamming and comments that are off topic or inappropriate from being posted .... comments are reviewed within 48 hours. I don't block normal comments that are on topic and not inappropriate. Vexatious comments that may cause upset to other commentators, or that are attempting to espouse a particular wider political view, are reviewed before acceptance. But a certain amount of debate around a post topic is accepted, as long as it remains generally on topic and is not an attempt to become sounding board for some other cause.

Final decision on all comments is held by the blog author and is final.

Comments are always monitored for bad or abusive language, and or illegal statements i.e. overtly racist or sexist content. Spam is not tolerated and is removed.

Commentaires ne sont surveillés que pour le mauvais ou abusif langue ou déclarations illégales ie contenu ouvertement raciste ou sexiste. Spam ne est pas toléré et est éliminé.

Followers

Blog Archive

Its a Pucking World

Its a Pucking World
Dreamberry Wine Cover

About Me

My photo
A middle aged orange male ... So 'un' PC it's not true....