Translate

Sunday 10 October 2010

Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder

Now I am collector (or 'hoarder' as one ex girlfriend said) .... I like old coins, because when you handle them, you know that they were handled by human beings when they were minted until they were lost. I have coins (in reasonable condition), going back the the Pre-Roman, Greek Empire and Macedonian conquest  periods ..... running through Roman, Medieval, English Civil war and up to late British Empire dates.  It's a cheapish way of owning a bit of history ......

Anyway, imagine my envy at the find by a metal detectorist in the UK of this ....

Roman Cavalryman's Ceremonial Helmet
Roman Cavalryman's Ceremonial Helmet

A Roman Cavalryman's ceremonial helmet ..... worn as an award for skill or bravery and possibly silvered (although that's gone if it ever existed).

Roman Cavalryman's Ceremonial Helmet Full Head
Roman Cavalryman's Ceremonial Helmet Full Head

It sold after an anonymous phone bidder bought it for £2m...... which I hope is still in the UK (I certainly would block its export if I was the secretary of state involved).

I heard a radio presenter query why anyone would want to buy this outside of a Museum ...... he has no collectors soul. If I had won the Euro lottery £112m (its not been claimed yet, and I haven't checked my ticket yet LOL), I would buy this, and not even blink, its beautiful!

Ah well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I find it hard to imagine how anyone can't see the magic in this mask!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcomed, or even just thanks if you enjoyed the post. But please make any comment relevant to the post it appears under. Off topic comments will be blocked or removed.

Moderation is on for older posts to stop spamming and comments that are off topic or inappropriate from being posted .... comments are reviewed within 48 hours. I don't block normal comments that are on topic and not inappropriate. Vexatious comments that may cause upset to other commentators, or that are attempting to espouse a particular wider political view, are reviewed before acceptance. But a certain amount of debate around a post topic is accepted, as long as it remains generally on topic and is not an attempt to become sounding board for some other cause.

Final decision on all comments is held by the blog author and is final.

Comments are always monitored for bad or abusive language, and or illegal statements i.e. overtly racist or sexist content. Spam is not tolerated and is removed.

Commentaires ne sont surveillés que pour le mauvais ou abusif langue ou déclarations illégales ie contenu ouvertement raciste ou sexiste. Spam ne est pas toléré et est éliminé.

Followers

Blog Archive

Its a Pucking World

Its a Pucking World
Dreamberry Wine Cover

About Me

My photo
A middle aged orange male ... So 'un' PC it's not true....