Translate

Friday 6 April 2007

Dreamberry Wine

Mike Don - Dreamberry Wine, Mole Express Many moons ago, I used to do the front covers (indeed one of my old covers appears on the bottom of this blog page), for a Sci-Fi paperback mailing list called "Dreamberry Wine".

It was run by a mate called Mike Don, who was once described as the "Anarchist Bookseller" of Manchester.

His dealings on the Manchester scene were many and varied, including a journalistic scoop that was picked up nationally by The Guardian, in which he exposed James Anderton's (The then Chief Constable of Greater Manchester), purchase of some somewhat dubious police equipment, to whit, sten guns.

This was during the Thatcher years, when left wing splinter groups were rampant in the North of England and 'paranoia' was the vogue. This was the period when many Lefties supported a 'fascist' military dictator, General Galtieri in Argentina (even with the 30,000 'Disappeared' left wingers that the regime had perpetrated), rather than UK forces in the Falkland Islands. Somehow, apparently it was the UK who lived in a "fascist dictatorship", because the stupid public kept "voting the wrong way" ... isn't that always the way with the proletariat, they have to be told what's good for them and who to vote for. Where's 'Uncle Joe' when you need him?.

I can't say that Mike and I's politics ever agreed very much, but he was not one of those who subscribed to the nonsense about the Falklands, and in any event it didn't stop us having a pint or two, and discussing politics, Blakes Seven and our shared interest in Sci-Fi.

After an anonymous comment on a link on the blog, from someone about "The Albert", the pub of choice for the 'intelligentsia of Rusholme' (Well, it had a Chess team and two quiz teams, that counted as intelligentsia in that area!).

I am adding this next couple of paragraphs and a couple of photo's (the only two I could find) about the pub.

The Albert Pub Rusholme
The Albert Pub Rusholme

The place where Mike and I drank, was 'The Albert' on the corner of Walmer St/Albert St. This pub is described by the University of Manchester Students Union (UMSU) with the only comment "Real ale and Irishmen", they also describe some of the other pubs in the area in similar terms.

  • The Huntsman - "Try it once, apparently"
  • The Welcome - "The most un-welcoming pub (more so than The Huntsman) - expect piano to stop playing and everyone stare at you as you walk in" and "Unwritten rule: Locals only"
The other pubs are treated more gently, LOL, but they are only student reviews, so 'sod em'.

Anyway at that time, in the 1970's and 1980's, The Albert was popular with a lot of current students, and ex-students who had never gone home to rural Somerset, or wherever it was they had come from, and had continued drinking in the pub of their student youth. It also had 'a lot of Irishmen', who used it as an informal building site recruitment office.

This eclectic mix got on reasonably well, with a few cross borderer's like myself, mixing happily enough with both camps (They tended to sit in distinct areas of the pub). The whole establishment was run over by a rather urbane Irish landlord called Gerry who used a cigarette holder, and rather reminded one, of the camp comedian 'Larry Grayson' (for those old enough to remember him).

On the non Irish side, the pub was populated by and large with Social security workers, University Professors, and other social worker type employees i.e. They all largely worked for non commercial organisations at the tax payers expense (including me at that time), and who, by and large, followed 'right on' (The pre PC term) politics of the left. I needless to say was not of that persuasion, hence the often heated political discussions that generally remained non violent. It was this motley crew that filled the chess team and the two quiz teams.

One of the Irish regulars "Mick Reynolds" was an "All Ireland" finalist, and had a certain fame and glory on that account in the bar. I am informed that the pub has changed landlords a number of times since then, and that Mike Don is no longer a regular, but pops in occasionally.

Anyway while I was trawling the net I came across Mikes name, and I tracked him down (isn't the Internet great!), and got back in contact. He's still selling books, and produces a book list about once a quarter. I wasn't surprised to find that he hadn't exactly embraced the Internet, and was still hankering for a one finger type writer and photocopiers, but he now apparently had a steam driven PC of ancient vintage, and variable performance.

Taking my life in my hands I undertook to drag Mike as close to the 21st century as he was prepared to go, "leading a horse to water, and drinking" comes to mind, by setting him up with a web page (it's really easy with a googlemail account). This turned into an epic of a kind I wasn't expecting, because Mike only wanted something that was easily editable and based upon his listing formats. I had originally set up the web pages in table format because it was so neat, however editing the pages in this format was a bit cumbersome, and required an understanding of Tables in Excel or Word, that I gathered Mike was not keen to acquire.

So I had to do it again, and of course I kept thinking of improvements (Top Tip: Keep it simple and clean, don't do a 'Homer Simpson' and load your web page with every moving icon you can find!), but eventually I settled on a few external links, and a number of interlinked web pages. It's basic, and the formatting is not unlike the magazines (which should cheer Mike up immensely), but it does the job, and who knows Mike may go on to develop skills in this area and make it tidier.

Anyway, if you are into Sci-Fi, and want a regular supplier of well priced used paperbacks or hardbacks etc, then he was the man to go to.

Mike Don's Old Details
Mike Don's Old Details

Update November 2020:

In another of those 'all things change' moments I found out that 'The Albert Inn' is apparently closed for good .... at least its boarded up, awaiting planning permission to change use.

Inside The Albert 2015
Inside The Albert 2015


The Albert Inn Closed
The Albert Inn Closed
 
It appears that demographic changes over the decades, have taken its Irish and white clientele away from the area. Its now a largely Muslim area, and so most of the 10 or more pubs alive and thriving in that immediate area in the 70's and 80's have now closed for the same reason. I knew them all as I played on the Albert pool team in the local league, so visited them all (even the notorious Lord Lyon/Nelson .... thankfully the even more notorious Huntsman was too small to have a pool table ).
 
In fact as far as I know, none of them have survived apart from The Claremont Inn on the Moss Side border .... as there are no customers left. Elsewhere in south Manchester, even 'The Whalley Hotel,' where I once worked briefly as a barman, and The Seymour (my first 'local' pub as a teen), also in Whalley Range, have closed according to the pub link .... many others are also long gone. Sad.

Update August 2021:

Sadly Mike Don passed away aged 77 this year.

I have taken down the links to his webpage, as the great bookman has finished his final chapter, and gone to the great book repository in the hereafter. 

He will be sorely missed by his many friends and collaborators in Manchester and elsewhere.

29 comments:

  1. I remember Mike from my University days. He was indeed a well known figure on various underground papers (Mole express?) and City Life. I have long since left Manchester but am glad he is still around. Is "The Albert" still one of his haunts (Indeed is the The Albert still a haunt?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also left Manchester but I am given to believe that the The Albert is still a pub of some (dis)repute. "Gerry" the landlord during most of my time has long gone, and so I suspect are most of the clientele of those years, but who knows.

    Mike said that he rarely goes there anymore so I suspect that confirms that time has taken it's toll.

    I have managed to find one picture of the pub on the net and will add it to the article (How much of my money went over that bar, I hesitate to think about LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just on the phone to Mike. He was, and is, a great guy and one of the most knowledgeable blokes around if your after SF. I drank in the Albert a few times, Good pub.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike's still in the area, working as a more general bookseller nowadays. The Alberts clientele type is not much changed, just the clients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly I found that 'Gerry' the Landlord of the The Albert Inn during most of my drinking era had died aged 70 in 2002.

    According to the reports, he was at home and surrounded by family.

    I produce the notification for those who knew him and like me were unaware of his passing.

    FREYNE (GERRY) - On April 9 peacefully at Home in Ballaghaderreen, Co Rosscommon, Eire. Gerry Freyne aged 70, formerly of Rusholme, Manchester. The dearly loved Brother of Aileen, Frances, Mona, Irene, Barry and Brendan. Much loved Uncle of all his Nephew and Niece's. Removal to take place from The Sharkey Funeral Home, Ballaghaderreen to St Nathy's Cathedral on Friday April 12 at 6.45pm. Requiem Mass will be offered in St Nathy's Cathedral on Saturday April 13 at 11am, prior to Burial afterwards.
    Published 12/04/2002

    FREYNE (GERALD) (GERRY) - Late of The Albert Inn, Rusholme and Ballaghaderreen, Co Roscommon. The Brothers, Sisters, Cousins and Relatives of Gerry wish to Thank most sincerely all those who sympathised with us in our very sad loss, also those who sent mass cards and flowers. We would like to give special thanks to friends who travelled long distances to pay their respects and final goodbyes. The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass will be offered for the intentions of you all.

    Published 23/08/2002

    RIP an small era.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad that about Gerry. I used to drink in The Albert Inn and remember all the characters you mention. I probably know you as well, at least by sight, but I won't try to guess.

    Enjoyed the post though, brought back good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike is a great guy. I still buy books from him even though I moved far away. I tried to contact the website you made for him (thanks for that) but no recent replies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's still about .... try his name as one word (all lower-case), and at this address with out the brackets [233@yahoo.co.uk], obviously with the digits as part of the name. I am sorry about being cryptic but need to avoid robot spammers.

      Delete
  8. Is he still selling books ? I need a book from Dreamberry Wine. The link you have provided seems dead though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I am aware, he's still with us.

      Try his name as one word (all lower-case e.g mikedon), and at the following email address with out the brackets [233@yahoo.co.uk], obviously with the digits as part of the name.

      Or better still go to web site and phone him on the number shown .....


      Delete
    2. This Link "https://sites.google.com/site/dreamberrywine/" is for his website.

      Delete
    3. Added a picture contact with contact details.

      Delete
  9. I have had a Christmas Card from the eponymous Mr Don. He's alive and well and "Still a Leftie". So those who occasionally ask me for his contact details, they are as described above.

    ReplyDelete
  10. John Rawling ... Manchester University 1975-789 May 2020 at 19:10

    Gerry Freyne .... one of the very best landlords

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree John. Very old school, and a good man, Thanks for comment. Its nice that people still remember him and the Albert Inn as it was back then.

      Delete
  11. Just heard the sad news that Mike has passed. I bought a lot of books from him way back, and still have lots of copies of Dreamberry Wine around. There was an obituary in the Guardian on 4 July.

    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/jul/04/mike-don-obituary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sad to hear.

      I had lost touch with him over recent years so wasn't aware of any health issues affecting him. He will be sorely missed by anyone who knew him.

      Thank you John for passing on the news, and the obituary link.

      Delete
  12. Hi. I was a student at UMIST 79 to 82 and met Mike Don at the Grass Roots bookshop where his knowledge of the SciFi genre was freely available to any who needed it. I was sorry to see his passing reported by the Guardian Newspaper, but it brought back some good memories as well. We were all so young back then.

    I then found this page and although the Albert Inn was not a bar I was aware of, it sounds as if I missed an interesting pub.


    So I just thought I would just add my voice, to those already stating their sadness at his death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen, I'm sure your comment echoes what many thought when they heard the news (I don't read the Guardian, so was unaware of his passing until John passed the news on).

      And yes ... 'We were all so young back then' ... it does seem so long ago (almost a different world).

      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  13. In one of those strange coincidences that Mike would have liked, Forces TV has just started showing one of Mikes favourite SF TV programmes "Blakes Seven", which we watched together on the Albert Inn's TV between 1978 and 1981. We effectively hijacked the TV for an hour once a week, with landlord Gerry's kind indulgence, to watch it.

    This is the first time that I know of it being repeated on television in decades. A bit dated of course, especially the special effects and sets - the BBC were notoriously loath to spend money on Sci-Fi shows back then, and modern CGI was just a wet dream back then - but the storyline is still strong.

    So in honour of Mikes love of the show, I am recording and watching it all, from episode one to the end ... its a blatant wallow in nostalgia, and brings back some happy memories on several levels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well as I pledged in my previous comment, I have now watched every episode of "Blakes Seven",that Forces TV have shown ... and thoroughly enjoyed it. I doubt that I'll be revisiting this post again, unless someone else comments for some reason.

    So farewell Mike! If it turns out we (well the atheists amongst us) were all wrong and there is an Albert Inn in that surprise hereafter, then maybe I'll see you and Gerry Freyne at the bar mate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very sad to hear this. I liked Mike a lot. He was an honest man and a pleasure to do business with. Often went round to his house next to the City ground after he gave up going to the pub. I'll retain the memory of a house full of pulp paperbacks and Mike's wry grin. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I went to that library come house a number of times to buy, or take artwork for the covers round. He was still pubbing when I knew him in Manchester (although we kept in occasional touch via email later on). Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  16. Sad to read that The Albert has closed. I remember Gerry the landlord barmaids Bernadette and Margaret, and a lady called Alice I think, who did the Hot Pots for 50p. There was a barman as well, I think he was called Roy. Those were the days!!

    I wasn't a friend of Mike Don, but I am sorry about his and Gerry's passing, as well as the closure of all the other pubs in what was a very lively Irish area. There was an Irish social club, St Edwards? as well, which I suppose that's gone as well.

    It's all a little bit sad really, which is why I suppose is why you should never go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike.

      Those names brought back a few memories. I suspect from the fact that I recognise them all, that we were regulars in the Albert at the same time. Alice was indeed head barmaid .... I'll add a few more names to those already listed in the post and comments .... barmaids Mary Dunne, and the incredibly pretty Jane Malone. Other regulars were Dave Wood (along with a number of other Rusholme DHSS workers such as Mike Nolan - not you I presume haha?), as well as local character Vinny Johnson. Andy Kelly was a quiz team captain, Richard Walsh was a chess team founder, and as we have seen above, the eminent sports broadcaster John Rawling was also a patron back in his student days.

      50p Hot pots!! those really were the days ... but I thought they were a £1.00?? The last time I was in the Albert, I think the landlord was another Irishman ... Pete? I read on another website that the pub was sold off by the Hydes brewery to become yet another curry house, despite it still holding much of its client base (after picking up drinkers from the other local pubs that had closed), and it being Hydes first ever pub ... no sentimentality it seems.

      Sadly all the areas in Central and South Manchester that had been considered 'Irish' back then, have all gone now, as new immigrants have moved in. It was ever thus. Thanks for the comment and the names .... took me back 40 - 50 years.

      Delete
  17. I knew Mike from the area, I used to sit and talk to him during a time some of the local kids were giving him a hard time. He never seemed to take it too serious and it actually found a funny side to it all. I remember for whatever reason I climbed his back wall to avoid a police officer, the reason really does escape me. Mike seen me and we sat chatting for an hour or so, me on his kitchen roof and him with his head out of his bathroom window. He told me his team was Hibernian and the club always reminds me of him. I found him a very interesting character, I never really knew what he did I just guessed he was some sort of lecturer or professor given the books I could see though his window and the fact he’d be always around the university parts. A very nice and intelligent man. I’m sure he shared his house with a fella that lives downstairs, I’ve got a feeling they didn’t speak to each other, he would give chase to those local kids, which encouraged it even more. For years and years after he would recognise me and say hello, stopping occasionally in the local off license for a chat. Coincidentally I used to drink in the Albert myself, around the time City left Maine Rd, as I did in all the pubs in the area. It’s a crying shame all them pubs have gone, coming from Irish parentage myself, it seems a whole community has been wiped out, social outlets disappeared and a neighbourhood changed completely in such a short time of me growing up. I’ve only just found out now about Mikes passing. A lovely man, who I got to know over time. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was certainly a well known character, in an area that has now changed profoundly (and not necessarily for the better). He did indeed have a tenant, who I never saw. He was called 'Wes', I think (but I could be wrong). The exact nature of the relationship was always confusing, and I soon stopped asking about it, and yes I understood that they didn't speak to each other.

      The fact that so many people remember Mike with affection, attests to the likeability of the man. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, ‘Wes’ sounds right, it was a strange set up as I’d imagine they’d have to share a kitchen/bathroom. I didn’t know who was lodging with who. I’d see Mike often in the off license opposite the Parkside pub, we’d stop and chat about football and how life is treating us, then it’d be another six months before our paths crossed again. I had a great time growing up around there with Maine Road on the doorstep and a feel of community that is no longer the case, Mike was always a background character I remember fondly. I’m a sucker for nostalgia but as is life, things change. I miss the ‘pub scene’ around the area greatly, the pubs would be full of characters and all sorts of shenanigans. Did Mike only frequent the Albert? As there are were pubs closer to him. I wonder if he ever went to watch City much given his location.

      Delete
    3. In truth I don't know if he ever went to see City (or United) play. I think he favoured the Albert Inn because he used the bus stops on Wilmslow Road a lot. As you say 'things change'. Thanks for the additional comment,

      Delete

All comments are welcomed, or even just thanks if you enjoyed the post. But please make any comment relevant to the post it appears under. Off topic comments will be blocked or removed.

Moderation is on for older posts to stop spamming and comments that are off topic or inappropriate from being posted .... comments are reviewed within 48 hours. I don't block normal comments that are on topic and not inappropriate. Vexatious comments that may cause upset to other commentators, or that are attempting to espouse a particular wider political view, are reviewed before acceptance. But a certain amount of debate around a post topic is accepted, as long as it remains generally on topic and is not an attempt to become sounding board for some other cause.

Final decision on all comments is held by the blog author and is final.

Comments are always monitored for bad or abusive language, and or illegal statements i.e. overtly racist or sexist content. Spam is not tolerated and is removed.

Commentaires ne sont surveillés que pour le mauvais ou abusif langue ou déclarations illégales ie contenu ouvertement raciste ou sexiste. Spam ne est pas toléré et est éliminé.

Followers

Blog Archive

Its a Pucking World

Its a Pucking World
Dreamberry Wine Cover

About Me

My photo
A middle aged orange male ... So 'un' PC it's not true....