Translate

Friday 13 April 2018

Infamously Boring Last Words

Somewhat in the manner of the 19th century, the Texas Department of Criminal Justice keeps a record of any final last word statements of those executed on death row .... now apart from the fact that this event often takes place decades after they actually were sentenced, it also proves how boringly mundane these animals are.

Mostly they still fail to connect to their victims, or to their families really. Here's some examples:

Lester Bower - 30 years Plus On Death Row.
Lester Bower - 30 years Plus On Death Row.

Lester Bower: Killed four men in 1983 while stealing an ultra-light air-plane. Three of the victims were unlucky witnesses after he had murdered a man selling an ultra-light for $4,000. Executed 03/06/2015 aged 67 and after six previous stays of execution. Nine prisoners had been on death row in Texas longer than Bower, but only one David Powell (who was executed in 2010 after 32 years on death row), was executed before him.

Final Words: "Much has been written about this case, not all of it has been the truth. But the time is over and now it is time to move on. I want to thank my attorneys for all that they have done. The have afforded me the last quarter of a century. I would like to thank my wife, my daughters, family and friends for unwavering support, and all of the letters and well wishes over the years. Now it is time to pass on. I have fought the good fight, I held the faith. I am not going to say goodbye, I will simply say until we meet again. I love you very, very much. Thank you Warden."

Richard Allen Masterson - 14 Years On Death Row.
Richard Allen Masterson - 14 Years On Death Row.

Richard Allen Masterson: Had been in prison for Theft and Burglary but had been discharged on 09/29/1994. However on 02/09/2001 in Houston, he choked an adult white male to death, and then took the victim's vehicle after the murder. Executed: 20/01/2016

Final Words: "Sending me to a better place. I am alright with this, you have to live and die by the choices that we make.  I have made mine.  I love you Renee, I am gonna carry your heart and always carry my heart in your heart.  I am ready."

Raphael Holiday - 13 years On Death Row
Raphael Holiday - 13 years On Death Row.

Raphael Holiday: He murdered three children. Two, the 7 year old and the 5 year old, were his step-daughters, and the 1 year old was his natural daughter. Executed: 18/11/2015

Final Words: "Yes, I would like to thank all of my supporters and loved ones.  I love you, love y’all, always going to be with y’all.  Thank you Warden."

Licho Escamilla - 13 Years On Death Row
Licho Escamilla - 13 Years On Death Row.

Licho Escamilla: On 11/25/2001, in Dallas, Escamilla was engaged in a fight in the parking lot of a nightclub. When Dallas City police officers arrived to stop the fight, Escamilla shot an adult white male police officer two times. The officer died en-route to the hospital. Executed: 14/10/2015

Final Words: "Shelby, God bless your heart.  To my family, I love them and everybody that showed support. Thank you to all of my cousins and aunts and uncles that showed support and that prayed for me. From California to New York thank you for all of your support. Pope Francis, God’s children has asked the State of Texas to switch my death sentence to life in prison. But the State of Texas has refused to listen to God’s children, they will have to take that up with God. Let everyone know it’s not over. To Wesley Ruiz aka 'Slope', keep your head up, keep your faith in God. To my family I love y’all.  That’s it Warden."  

NB: His mate Wesley Ruiz was incarcerated in 2007. He is another cop killer, convicted for Capital Murder of a Police Officer and who is currently on Death Row in Texas.


Juan Garcia - 17 Years On Death Row
Juan Garcia - 17 Years On Death Row.

Juan Garcia: In Houston on the night of 17/09/1998, Garcia and three co-defendants approached a Hispanic male who was walking to his vehicle in the parking lot of an apartment complex. Garcia demanded the victim's money and then shot him in the head with a .25 calibre pistol, killing him. Garcia took just $8 (£5) in cash from the victim. Executed: 06/10/2015

Final Words: (Spanish) "To the Solano family, I want to tell them to forgive me. While I am still alive I bring suffering to you all. The harm that I did to your dad and husband, I hope this brings you closure to all of you. I never wanted to hurt any of you all. I received your card and I want to thank you all. To Maricela I want to pass my spirit to my mother-in-law, I leave you all with peace.

(English) For my family I love you all very much.  No matter what, remember my promise, no matter what, I will always be with you, please keep my promise. I love you all, Warden I’m ready."

Gregory Russeau - 14 Years On Death Row.
Gregory Russeau - 14 Years On Death Row.

Gregory Russeau: In 1988 he got a ten-year sentence for Burglary of a Habitation, Engaging in Organized Criminal Activity, Theft, Attempted Burglary of a Building. Released in 1991 on parole. On 30/05/2001, in Tyler, Russeau struck a 75-year old white male numerous times in the head causing his death during a robbery. Russeau also took the victim's wallet and a vehicle from the victim's place of business. Executed: 18/06/2015

Final Words: “Yes, I would like to thank my family and friends for what y’all have done for me.  Thank you for being here with me that I do not have to transition alone. I have peace. To my daughter, I love you, to my grand babies, sisters and brothers, I love you. I am ready to go home.”

Derrick Dewayne Charles - 13 Years On Death Row
Derrick Dewayne Charles - 13 Years On Death Row.

Derrick Dewayne Charles: On July 2, 2002, Charles was visiting his girlfriend when he attacked and strangled a black male who lived at the residence. When his girlfriend and her mother arrived back at the residence, Charles sexually assaulted her mother, bound both of them and placed ligatures on them, resulting in their deaths. Executed 12/05/2015

Final Words: "I'm ready to go home."

.... of course the final words for a few, is far too many words from others.
 
NB: Some of these inmates have teardrop tattoos under their eyes ... depending upon the culture of the criminal, it can represent different things. For instance, in Latino West Coast (USA) gang culture, each drop of the tattoo may signify that the wearer has killed someone for each teardrop ... so it can signify that although convicted of one murder, they are claiming to have killed a number more. However it can mean other things.

2 comments:

  1. At least one of these animals had a thought for his victims. It would be interesting to compare these final words with those of some female criminals on death row.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to oblige. They don't actually put many women to death though, so it may be that no one has recorded their final words.

      Delete

All comments are welcomed, or even just thanks if you enjoyed the post. But please make any comment relevant to the post it appears under. Off topic comments will be blocked or removed.

Moderation is on for older posts to stop spamming and comments that are off topic or inappropriate from being posted .... comments are reviewed within 48 hours. I don't block normal comments that are on topic and not inappropriate. Vexatious comments that may cause upset to other commentators, or that are attempting to espouse a particular wider political view, are reviewed before acceptance. But a certain amount of debate around a post topic is accepted, as long as it remains generally on topic and is not an attempt to become sounding board for some other cause.

Final decision on all comments is held by the blog author and is final.

Comments are always monitored for bad or abusive language, and or illegal statements i.e. overtly racist or sexist content. Spam is not tolerated and is removed.

Commentaires ne sont surveillés que pour le mauvais ou abusif langue ou déclarations illégales ie contenu ouvertement raciste ou sexiste. Spam ne est pas toléré et est éliminé.

Followers

Blog Archive

Its a Pucking World

Its a Pucking World
Dreamberry Wine Cover

About Me

My photo
A middle aged orange male ... So 'un' PC it's not true....