Translate

Friday 26 June 2020

Desperate Times Again

During this time of crisis, a man has to consider taking up hobbies ......
 
Smoking Is A Risky And Expensive Habit ......
Smoking Is A Risky And Expensive Habit ......
 
Now amongst other things, I used to be a heavy smoker 14 years ago, and so during these desperate times, I briefly considered smoking again (I know, I know!! .... it was just a fleeting, passing joke thought, of the sort we all get, like taking up clarinet playing ... not serious).

However I then wondered how expensive it was to smoke these days. It had been about £3.50 per packet of 20, for a fairly premium brand when I had smoked. A cost that could be brought cheaper, by buying them in multi-packs of 10.

So I looked it up today. It turns out that in the budget, the average pack of the most expensive cigarettes in the UK's big four supermarkets increased to £12.73. While for the cheapest 20-pack brand of cigarettes, the cost is £9.10. Now as the cheapest brands are real throat grabbers, I have to assume that it would cost me around £11.50 per packet to smoke something reasonable .... although I know some smokers who have migrated down the brands to throat rasper's, in order to keep the costs down.

I admit that I was a 25 to 30 cigarettes a day man .... so say 10 packs of 20 consumed in a week. Now it doesn't take a mathematical genius to do the calculations ... 10 x 52 x £11.50 = £5,980 ($7,468) per year. Anyone would have to admit that having £5,980 pa taken directly from your net income, is not an amount to be ignored.

According to what figures I could gather (single people are ignored as usual on most websites), currently single male UK pensioners in 2019 had an average weekly income of £233 pw or £12,116 pa which includes the full state retirement benefits of £9,110.40 pa (for those retiring now) or £6,718.40 pa if your on an old *SERPs pension (*those who retired pre 2016).

This is not a very large pensioner income, and according to many websites, pensioners income targets should really be in the £20k+ pa range, but if you have no housing costs (rent or mortgage), its surprising what is a perfectly manageable income. Personally, without any discernible change in my lifestyle (apart from not going on holidays - and that's for reasons other than financial), I have found my outgoings to be less than £12,116 pa, without my trying for any specific figure, and that's with running a car .... and also includes a weakness for buying eBay crap!! But even so, having £5,980 pa taken directly from your net retirement income, of say £13,000 pa ($16,234), is a very large proportion of your annual income ..... literally burning it away.

Now I am not denying that smoking gives a short burst of endorphins pleasure (that's why it's addictive), but I doubt that's ever going to be enough to cover the mental pain that taking nearly £6,000 per annum out of my living money each year would cause me .... even though I can afford it.

So NO .... I won't be counting smoking as a new hobby habit .... but maybe vaping? No just joking Hahaha😆

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcomed, or even just thanks if you enjoyed the post. But please make any comment relevant to the post it appears under. Off topic comments will be blocked or removed.

Moderation is on for older posts to stop spamming and comments that are off topic or inappropriate from being posted .... comments are reviewed within 48 hours. I don't block normal comments that are on topic and not inappropriate. Vexatious comments that may cause upset to other commentators, or that are attempting to espouse a particular wider political view, are reviewed before acceptance. But a certain amount of debate around a post topic is accepted, as long as it remains generally on topic and is not an attempt to become sounding board for some other cause.

Final decision on all comments is held by the blog author and is final.

Comments are always monitored for bad or abusive language, and or illegal statements i.e. overtly racist or sexist content. Spam is not tolerated and is removed.

Commentaires ne sont surveillés que pour le mauvais ou abusif langue ou déclarations illégales ie contenu ouvertement raciste ou sexiste. Spam ne est pas toléré et est éliminé.

Followers

Blog Archive

Its a Pucking World

Its a Pucking World
Dreamberry Wine Cover

About Me

My photo
A middle aged orange male ... So 'un' PC it's not true....